Group Discussions are the ideal tool to get an impression of what users are thinking about ideas, concepts or existing products.
In group discussions concrete ideas, concepts or experiences with products are discussed. These discussions have to be as descriptive as possible. Design proposals or prototypes can be presented as discussion basis. Specific presentation techniques help to achieve valid statements and results.
The advantages of group discussions
- rough sketches and ideas can be evaluated regarding their feasibility
- the participants develop ideas, which can be incorporated into development at an early stage
- developers gain a valuable insight of the use context of the later product
- getting an idea of the final user's understanding (mental model) makes an efficient adaptation of the concepts possible
6 to 8 participants per group are invited. Approx. 2 discussions are conducted per group.
Group discussions are particularly applied in the planning, analysis and design phase.
- construction of the discussion manual
- recruitment of the participants
- lead of the formal discussion
- evaluation of the results
- reporting: recommendations as to which ideas and statements should be considered and how they should be prioritized
- complete documentation (video and text report)